Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Thank You Mother Bear Project!

Back in August I contacted a non-profit organization in America called Mother Bear Project. I heard about this from other volunteers and researched what they were about. Mother Bear Project’s aim is to provide comfort and hope to children affected by HIV/AIDS in different countries around the world in the form of a one-of-a-kind, hand-knitted or crocheted teddy bear. Such a cute idea! Every bear comes with a tag that has the name of the volunteer/knitter who knitted or crocheted that bear.

I received the boxes of teddy bears in September, last month, and I wasn't able to set a date with the Primary School Head because our schedules kept conflicting when we tried. I finally sat down and planned a date with the staff and that date is today!
















I cannot get enough of the kids. They were eagerly waiting when I walked into the classroom at the Primary school. Their eyes automatically lit up when I began taking out the bears one by one. Some of them thanked me as I handed it to them and some were so shy but thanked me with their beautiful smiles. Either way I know that they all enjoyed receiving their gifts. Some of these kids have never owned any kind of toy or gift. Their families may not have money for basic needs so giving them a gift like these teddy bears means so much to them. It means having something they can call their own – a friend to some, a message of love to many of them. I’d like to say a very big “THANK YOU” to Amy from Mother Bear Project and all of the volunteers that take the time to make these unique bears out of the kindness of their hearts. These kids deserve this and because of all of you, they are smiling and happy. I love the idea and mission behind Mother Bear. “Re a leboga thata!” (Thank you very much!) from all of us over here in Hebron, Botswana. We love you and can’t thank you enough!

For my friends, family, and people who creep on my blog (you guys know who you are. haha), you can click here to see what Mother Bear Project is all about. Also, they should be posting all of my pictures up really soon so stay tuned and check that out if you’d like to see all the smiling faces of each student who got a bear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment