Thursday, October 17, 2013

Being Culturally Sensitive v Being True To Myself

Hey everyone! 

I got a lot of responses about the article that I wrote in to Peace Corps Botswana's monthly newsletter. A few of you wanted to read the article so I am posting here on my blog. I was also asked to do a monthly column on Spending Smart on A Volunteer Budget because who else would do it better than this bargain queen? I am so excited to add this to my routine and be part of the newsletter team.

Life is going great over here but sometimes there are those days where I just want to go home and stay there. It's tough being a volunteer in a country where people idolize you and isolate you at the same time. It's tough trying to assimilate into a culture in which you do not agree with some of the things people do and how they behave. I know, as an American, I stand out wherever I go in this country and continent. But sometimes, I just want to feel normal and not be pointed out. In this article I write about cultural differences and how to adjust to life in a completely different environment, an environment that I call home when sometimes it feels like the exact opposite. At the end of the day I like to tell myself, "It's all good."


1 comment: