Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Travels

Hey everyone!

So sorry about the lag. I have been having a rough time with things and life is a bit crazy right now...but I'm here! Haven't been in the greatest mood but I am staying positive and keeping my head up. :) 

Okay, first things first: I had such a great time in New Jersey and New York! I saw my mom, my best friends, and Trenton. I ate GREAT food and was so happy, the happiest I've been in a while. 

Before coming to Botswana, I decided that I wouldn't go back to the states because of my Peace Corps budget. I kept going back and forth on whether I should dip into my savings but my decision to go back to the states was finally confirmed when one of my best friends said she was getting married! I wanted to be there to support her so of course I charged an airline ticket to my credit card and said I'd be there. 






The events took place in New Jersey and was a week long. The colorful Indian outfits were amazing; I felt like I was in a Bollywood film! And of course the bride, my best friend looked so beautiful and happy. I am so glad I decided to be there by her side. I love you Sunita!

Since I'd be in New Jersey, Trenton and I decided to take that opportunity to hang in New York after the wedding events. That was such a blast. We decided not to do any tourist-y things since we'd both been there before and looked up different places that locals ate at and also ate at a great restaurant his brother recommended. The Little Owl was good but I didn't get to try the infamous bacon cheeseburger so I was sad! But everything else was tasty and we ended with the sweetest surprise to our meal: Trenton's parents called in beforehand and paid for everything! The server even relayed the message saying that the meal was gratís and a wish for safe travels back to Africa! Who needs dessert after that sweet gesture? Thank you so much Marty and Shelley! <3
Trenton surprised me with dinner at Per Se, which is one of the trendiest spots in town right now, and I felt the prettiest I've felt in 11 months! I forget what it feels like to dress up, go out, and pretend to be classy! haha This restaurant was sooooooo nice and super fancy. We ordered amazing tasting food with portions smaller than my palm and prices bigger than my wallet. 


After dinner, I was in for another surprise...cocktails and sweet views at The Press Lounge. Beautiful.

Thanks, Trenton, for everything.

Here are some random pictures of New York: places we visited, things I saw, and solo adventures. Fun stuff.




On my way back home, I had a very long layover in London. I decided to take that opportunity to do more solo exploration and it was so exciting. Although I was only there for a day, I saw lots of things. Unfortunately I can't upload all (or even most) of the pictures because I am typing all of this on my cell phone but it was a fun adventure, believe me. There is something about traveling alone that is so exciting and exhilarating! I loved London for the short time I was there. It also helps that I got some good finds at H&M, met some really cool and nice people, ate some more Thai food, and got a free upgrade to a bigger seat and a row all to myself! (P.S. I LOVE Virgin Airlines)

So that's where I've been! I love traveling and it is my dream to see all different parts of the world. I am getting there! I always say this and I will say it again and again: the best parts of traveling is meeting new people, experiencing culture and food, and being somewhere new. Traveling is so fun and exciting. 

So far I've been to these countries...

•Japan
•Thailand
•Botswana
•South Africa
•England
and soon...United Arab Emirates!

Stateside, I've been to these places...

•Hawaii
•Cali (LA represent!)
•Nevada
•Utah
•Arizona
•Texas
•Illinois
•Pennsylvania
•New Jersey
•New York
...and I hope to visit many more!

Although some of you may be laughing at my short list, I am very proud it. It took me a lot to get to these places. I've worked my butt off and saved my money for most of these destinations and I only hope that my list continues to grow. And it will damn it! :)

So here's to more new experiences and destinations in the near future!

4 comments:

  1. Diane,

    I always enjoy reading your blog so much! Your posts are so real and offer me such great perspective on what Botswana may be like. Looking forward to meet you soon!

    Sarah (Future Bots 14)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following Sarah! I'm always happy to hear that people actually read my blog! :) I'm also glad I can give you some insight as to how Botswana may be like for you but remember, everyone's experiences are unique! Can't wait to meet you and the rest of Bots 14! Two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We look so preeeeeeeeety!!!! Love you! Miss you :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane!
    I LOVE your blog. You're having an amazing adventure. Can't wait to catch up with you.

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete