Sunday, June 30, 2013

PSDN



Newest Bots 13 PSDN members - Regina, me, and Katy! 
I spent this weekend in the capital, Gaborone, for PSDN training. While I was in Pretoria the Country Director (The Big Boss) called me to tell me that I have been chosen by fellow PSDN members in the previous intake groups and by staff to be a part of this community. I was really excited about it and proud!

PSDN stands for Peer Support Diversity Network and its main goal is to strengthen volunteer support system and increase productivity/effectiveness by providing trained volunteers (us) to support our peers in a non-judgmental manner and offering resources to contribute to positive, healthy lifestyles. With that said, we are here to create a safe and supportive environment so that our fellow volunteers can fully assess their situation and come to a conclusion on their own. Anyone can come to us and know that they will be respected and not judged while they tell us what's going on in their lives or if they need any kind of support or just a shoulder to lean on and/or a listening ear. We also have the diversity aspect of PSDN and that is really important to me. We will come up with ideas on how to integrate diversity and intercultural exchange within training sessions and just promote it overall! When I applied for this I was really hoping I'd get chosen because I felt that this was something I could do and get more experience on since my undergraduate degree was in Mental Health and Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment. I felt that this was right up my alley and that I'd be able to get to know the volunteers, help them, and help myself by getting more experience. I really wanted to be able to support my fellow volunteers and the new, incoming volunteers in a way that I know how. So I was super excited when I was told that I would be joining as the newest group of members. I am really grateful that the staff and members chose me and am really proud to be in this group. I can only hope that I will be able to make a difference in this aspect of my service.

The training went well and I am glad to have made more friends here. We are a silly, fun group and am excited to be working with these individuals. I cannot wait for the new intake group to come in in August as we are preparing to be at their Pre-Service Training. (I can't believe it's been almost a year since my group came!) I am now the Diversity Co-Chair and am excited for that! I can't wait for more new and fun adventures! Bring it on.


Weird.

4 comments:

  1. Diane, of course they would pick you....You are AMAZING!!! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are just as excited to come! Thank you for your hard work in preparing for our arrival!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I cannot wait to meet all of you! I hope you are spending time with family and friends and not stressing about packing!

      Delete