Saturday, June 29, 2013

Welcome To My Humble Abode!

Welcome! 

I guess it's about time I post up pictures of my house since everyone always asks how I live and how my house is and blah blah blah. :P I've finally accepted the realization that I will not be moving to the house that I was initially assigned to because of security reasons. So because of this, I went on a crazy decorating spree last weekend. I was really looking forward to the bigger house with a bathtub and toilet and bigger rooms but it's really okay because I've come to be comfortable in this small and simple house. I mean, it's Peace Corps, I really can't complain. (Except for you damn bats!) I hope you enjoy the tour of mi casa!
Front Door. Yup, my house is set up for electricity but I don't have it. Tease.

Kitchen Door
First thing you see when you walk in.


I have my life on this table because it is the only piece of furniture I have, along with the two chairs.
Bedroom Door
Name tag from GLOW Camp.
Bird's the word!

New curtains.

Lights on my indoor clothesline.
Mosquito net is up because the mosquitoes don't really bug in the winter!
Flannel sheets for winter.
Yeah, that's a bed frame I'm using as a bookshelf.

Hung flowers in an empty corner.

The clothespins are holding up the curtains (ghetto style)
but I just bought curtain hooks. Yay!
The flowers you see in the pictures above are made 
from empty toilet paper rolls. Thanks for the idea, Rachel!
Kitchen: Water filter, spices, and no storage!
That gas canister is as tall as me!
Mommy, it's alright. There's hand soap here. Breathe...
Thanking my mom and sister for all these spices! The Nutella jar 
that I now use for silverware? Nah, I didn't finish that in a week...

Recycled peanut butter jars.

African baskets.

Good finds from Pep store.

Recycled soda cans and other canned foods.


So there it is! As you can see, I've learned to be very resourceful and I recycle everything! I have actually become a hoarder. I hoard everything in an attempt to come up with creative ways to reuse anything and everything. I keep toilet paper rolls which I make flowers out of, I keep jars and fill them with cotton or pens, and cardboard for...well I don't know what for yet but I'm sure I'll think of something! The blue bucket you see in pictures is my bathing bucket. I use less than a bucket of water for a bath! (including washing my hair!) It's crazy how much we waste in America. I hope that I'm able to take these habits home with me and be really creative and resourceful.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed the tour! And no, my Christmas decorations will never come down. Christmas all day errrrday!

1 comment:

  1. Why does the Peace Corps insist that we live with no furniture? We still have stuff, just no place to put it. - Claudia

    ReplyDelete