Monday, May 6, 2013

My Week(end) With Sarah

Tshane salt pan
 I think you all should get to know one of my closest friends here in Botswana. She is a southern belle from Kentucky and she doesn't give a f#!%, always keepin' it real, which I find extremely refreshing. One of the very first conversations I had with her was at Staging, in Philadelphia, before we even left JFK airport in NYC, and we talked about...well, I can't tell you what we talked about because it would be very inappropriate. Anyway, my friend Sarah does all these great things in the village of Tshane and I was honored to be a part of her weekly routine. I helped her teach hip hop and latin dancing classes at Tshane Police Department, I watched her convince about 20-25 inmates to get on the floor for meditation at the prison, and I finally got to see what a lovely garden she has built in her backyard with vegetables that made an appearance in our daily entrees we cooked up that week. Yum! The garden was really impressive and it made me feel bad about myself and not having one. Did I mention she lives in the desert yet somehow was able to grow all these delicious and healthy vegetables? This girl is hardworking I tell ya...

Sarah and I live very far from each other. She is in the Kgalagadi desert and I am furthest southeast near South Africa. So we don't see each other often. But when we do we get weird, fat, and crazy together. And I love her for that.
Mango and avocado salsa, garnishes for our tacos, and rice pudding!

Just call me the Baker.
My first French Bread roll came out pretty good.


Naan and chicken tikka masala.

Her beautiful garden!

Lettuce


Basil and onions

Cilantro and...carrots?

Tomatoes



hangman



Hitching in back of a pickup.
Wheeeeennn your weave's almost gone and your friend holds it on that's amore!
(She really held mine on. <3)

 After I left Sarah in Tshane and headed home at the end of that week we thought we wouldn't see each other for a while. Because of our attachment issues we decided to spend a romantic weekend at the Grand Palm Hotel and Resort for some thebe slots and a nice Asian cuisine this past weekend. haha Since we had no idea what to do with ourselves Saturday night and we were so impressed by our hotel room, we stayed in, watched RuPaul's Drag Race, and got pretty freakin' weird until we fell asleep. On Sunday night we decided to dress up a bit and pretend we were real fancy tourists who frequented the hotel. We made reservations for the restaurant and gambled the thebe slots. (Cheaper than the penny slots) Little did everyone know we actually didn't spend much at all and even shared one slot machine, each taking turns spinning. haha We also didn't want to pay for dessert so we shared a chocolate bar in the room on our comfy beds while we enjoyed the comforts of hotel accommodations. We really probably won't see each other again for a while but I had such a fun time. Thanks girl! Til we meet again...

Lovers.

2 comments:

  1. That bread looks amazing Mija. You'll have to bake me a loaf when you return. M&S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to! Miss you and Shelly so much! Holidays are not the same here. :( All my love from Africa! :)

      Delete