Thursday, May 16, 2013

Who run the world? GIRLS! (jk. I'm all about equality)






GLOW Camp stands for Girls/Guys Leading Our World. Obviously, this one in Kang was a girls one since we took the girls from Matsha College. We even held it on Mother's Day weekend! Usually, GLOW camps include sessions that are included in life skills curriculum such as leadership, self esteem, STIs/STDs, condom demonstration, goal setting, etc. My session was on Intergenerational Sex, Transactional Sex, and Defilement. (If you want to know more about this, get at me!) Although these sessions can be tiresome for the students, we try to make the camp fun for the participants by including fun activities like games, movies, arts and crafts, etc. Volunteers plan it themselves and hope that everything gets done, which can be very stressful.

I didn't know how much preparation went into these camps. I volunteered to help later in the planning process. I could not believe how much work goes into the camp including sessions, budgeting, food, activities, supplies, venue, applications, etc. I have to give it up to the girls who were in charge of this one. Budgets were made, grants were proposed, venues were secure, and the food situation was taken care of...or so we thought. Anything that could have went wrong did. The budget was cut practically the first day and that meant we did not have a place for the girls to sleep, food was an issue, drivers were very late and everything seemed like a mess. But luckily, like Peace Corps Volunteers learn how to do so well, we didn't stress, we were quick on our feet with new ideas, we didn't have high expectations and lastly, maybe the most important, was that we were able to laugh things off. That is really what you have to do in the Peace Corps. Nothing will go the way that is planned. People will flake, the budget will be significantly cut (and you will not be told until the day of), they'll be problems after problems and you are forced to think quickly. We had many issues but made sure not to fret and all in all, it was a successful camp. Hopefully it'll prepare me for the upcoming camps we have planned for the boys and the one we will have in my region!


My session on Intergenerationl/Transactional Sex and Defilement





Keep smiling.

They LOVE pictures.

Teaching them US camp games and songs!

I swear, Africans are born knowing how to sing! Talent show fun.


My first GLOW Camp turned out to be a success. Despite all the things that didn't go as planned, I had so much fun and it turned out to be a great experience for me. The girls really opened up and it was nice to be with them and get to know them. My favorite part was when the girls went to the front of the room on the last day and started telling us affirmations. They thanked the volunteers and told us that if it wasn't for our camp and our friendships, they wouldn't be able to feel confident and have a higher self esteem. Girls were going up, one by one, telling us about their hardships and horrors they have faced and continue to face throughout their lives. Hearing all their stories literally brought me to tears and had me bawling. And I didn't care. I've come to terms with my emotions and I never try to hide when I'm crying, something I used to do.  I let all their fears and emotions permeate me and was truly able to empathize with them. I cannot believe what some of these girls go through on a daily basis but I respect them for living life with strength and happiness. They danced, sang, cried, and I did it with them. It truly felt like a sisterhood and it was such an amazing thing to experience. True sisterhood in my eyes. I'd say that the camp was definitely a success and I cannot wait for the boys camp next month on Father's Day weekend!

Do yo thang, girl.

Next African Idol...watch out, she can sing!

Being silly for the camera.

She asked me to prom. haha


We all started with the same number of beads. Every time we would meet someone new we'd tell that person about our self and trade beads. At the end we went home with friendship bracelets and new friends!
2013 Girls Leading Our World Camp :)

2 comments:

  1. I love the bracelet idea! This looks amazing, D. So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute, right? It was so, so amazing. :) Thank you, thank you, thank you! Means a lot.

      Delete