Thursday, April 24, 2014

Thank You Days For Girls!

Many girls in Africa are truant in school and miss out on activities because of menstruation. Many of them are scared, not having been educated about puberty and what is happening with their bodies as they grow and change. Some of my students come to me and are scared, thinking they are sick and/or dying! Girls use leaves, newspaper, toilet paper...anything they can find to substitute for sanitary napkins. This is unhygienic and could cause more problems to their health.

Having a period is not something that is discussed in many cultures. This is especially true in my village. I find myself talking about puberty, sexuality, and wellness in many of the GLOW Canps I've participated in, in classes, and in my PACT Club and the questions I am asked are unbelievable. Girls have false beliefs and/or have no knowledge at all about these topics. Menstrual health is so important and I make sure to stress good hygiene in my lessons.

Days For Girls is an organization that helps girls all around the world to get an education and stop missing out on days because of having a period. They empower girls worldwide with healthy and safe alternatives for sustainable menstrual management. They empower days of education, health, safety, and dignity by distributing feminine hygiene kits to those in need.


When a fellow volunteer introduced me to this organization I thought it would be great for the girls at my school. I was able to get my kits and bring them to my village (what a process this was to lug them back to my house) to demonstrate to students and their parents how to use the items inside and how important it is to have good hygiene. I took advantage of our PTA meeting and sent letters home with students inviting their parents to come and learn about these kits and how they are  to be used. The parents seemed grateful and the students can now come to school without worry that they do not have protection. 

What a great organization! If you want to learn more about Days For Girls, you can do so at daysforgirls.org. Thanks again to all the volunteers in America who take their time making these wonderful, cute kits!

No comments:

Post a Comment