Monday, October 7, 2013

Borolong Camp GLOW

During the last weekend of September I was able to finally see all the work and planning that was done for Camp GLOW in the past 6-7 months come to fruition. I’ve helped out at the Kang Camp GLOW in May and that was wonderful so planning one with the volunteers that are in my region, I knew, would be even more special. I miss the girls still and it has been only a week since the camp ended!

I was really excited and nervous to plan our own girls camp for the Borolong Region (where I stay) because it meant I would take my own girls from school and the other 10 volunteers would take girls from their schools. At first, we were very nervous about mixing Primary, Junior Secondary, and Senior Secondary students together but it all worked out alright because we planned our lessons accordingly. I loved seeing all the girls’ faces when they first arrived. Everybody was so shy but the girls made new friends by the end of it all. Our camp’s theme was, “I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar” and the theme song was, of course, Roar by Katy Perry. The girls loved it! We wanted this girls camp to be empowering and inspiring and I really feel we did a good job in accomplishing exactly this. Our visitors included a Member of Parliament, a councilmen from the sub district, the U.S. Ambassador to Botswana (a female!), and Peace Corps Botswana’s Country Director!
It was so exciting and the turnout was something to be proud of. 

We all worked so hard to make this happen. We planned for accommodations, budgeting for the whole camp, buying supplies, getting T-shirts made, food preparation, hiring cleaners and cooks, preparing lessons, and much, much more. (A big shout out to Eden, Tom, and Steph!) Every day was exhausting. We were up by 6:00 a.m. and usually slept around midnight each of the days. There was always something happening and something we could do and help out with. My responsibility for my girls made me worried too. I felt like a mother constantly worrying about where my girls were and if they were okay but I knew I didn’t need to hold their hands and be with them 24/7. But still, I worried anyway. (Oh gosh, is this what motherhood is like?) It was all very exhausting but so rewarding for both campers and volunteers. To see them smile, dance, and laugh made me feel like it was all worth it and I’d do it again in a heartbeat. I really feel like these GLOW Camps are
one of the best things that I like about my service. The camaraderie, the friendships, the inspiration and feeling of sisterhood is so strong and it is just so much fun. I was able to get to know other girls from the region more and I got to know my girls a whole lot more too. The volunteers learned games that the girls taught us, we all danced and sang and cried together, we shared secrets and insecurities, and made it a point to stick together and help each other out. I love what these camps bring and I can’t wait for the next one. I am hoping to coordinate, with a good friend/volunteer, a Guys Leading Our World Camp early next year for all the boys in the southern region. I could only hope that it is just as successful as this past one.

Sally! Oldest volunteer in the Peace Corps! :)

Celebrating Liz's birthday.

Self-esteem and leadership lesson







Singing and dancing all weekend!





My girls with their certificates of completion

Our T-shirts came out great!


Member of Parliament making a speech to the girls.

Reppin' Iphutheng JSS



Journaling and mental health
Theater Group from Mokgomane came to perform and Maggie joined them!
Condom demonstration

U.S. Ambassador to Botswana, Michelle Gavin and Peace Corps Botswana Country Director, Tim Hartman


After hours of waiting, finally ready to go!


HIV and STIs lessons are never enough without Jeopardy games!

We made "mailboxes" and gave each other notes and affirmations. Some of the ones the girls gave me made me cry! So, so sweet. 

Gender Roles v Sex


D-Squared


1 comment:

  1. Yeyeeeeee!!!!! I'll never stop saying this: I'm soooo proud of you!!!! Love you and miss you more!! -V

    ReplyDelete