Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired

Hello.

Today is a better day than the rest, this past week. My sinus symptoms decided to make an appearance again and I've been having to deal with that lately. While I was in the capital (yet again) for more medical visits, I came down with some sort of stomach bug. I started feeling really fatigued and my legs felt restless. By the end of that night my stomach was cramping. When I woke up the next morning I was feeling nauseated and my whole body ached. 

For the past week I've been having major GI problems and vomiting. I couldn't hold anything down and all I ate was rice and fruits. But I'm feeling better today! I'm eating like normal again (which is way too much) and overall, I feel good. 

Let me tell you about being sick in Botswana. Being sick here is way different than being sick back home in America. Normally, you'd drive yourself, or have someone drive you, to the store or doctor's office, pick up some medicine within 10-20 minutes of that visit, and go home to rest and/or someone who will take care of you. Here, I beg to be seen the next day since transportation is nonexistent after 10 a.m. from my village. I wake up feeling worse the next morning but make sure to get to the hitching/combi spot early. The dumpster near this spot gives me more feelings of nausea. I wait and wait until the combi comes which is never a set time. I ride two hours to my shopping village just to hop on a bus and ride another hour and a half to the capital. I get to the lodge where volunteers stay and have to wait until the next morning for the appointment that was made. And that day I ride around town, sometimes getting lost if it's a new place I've never been, and just hope I make it to my appointment without passing out beforehand. Then I rest in bed for the rest of the day and get bored and lonely.Then I do that process of transporting one more time when I go home. That's more or less what happens when I'm sick. It really sucks to be sick here. Thanks for letting me vent! haha



Since I have acute chronic sinusitis, I don't think I'll ever be rid of these symptoms completely but I would have hoped that after surgery it would have been a while since I had any problems again. Oh well. Just focusing on good things happening...like how every day this week the electricians have actually been coming to install and hook up wires and a meter and tomorrow my house will be inspected and how if it passes, I'll have electricity by tomorrow morning. Woohoo! Pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment