Monday, December 3, 2012

Weekend Slumber Party

Dumelang!

I hope everyone had a great holiday and is continuing to have a nice Christmas season. I don’t have too many things to update everyone on other than still going around trying to meet everyone so I can complete my long and tedious community assessment report. I’m sure it’ll help me in the long run but complaining sounds better at the moment. :P What I did do this past weekend was hang out with some friends and had a grand ol’ time so I’ll tell you about that.

This past weekend 3 other volunteers and I decided to hang out, I was so glad to see them again and we were all very proud of each other for braving the transport situation. Let me tell you, when you are in a remote village transportation SUCKS. It is not very reliable to get in and out of your village and some days nobody shows up. We waited in the rain, cold and windy, for hours until we finally realized nobody was coming. Then I had to travel pretty far to a big village just so I can pay again to come back to my village, which was initially only 25k away. Not to mention the accumulated hours I had waited. I will definitely learn patience. Anyway, my friends and I had a blast cooking, playing Milles Borne (best card game ever), eating, laughing, and just being with each other. It was nice to get away from the loneliness that I feel when I am home during the week with nothing to do which I’m sure I’ll get used to. Eden cooked this great chicken and mashed potatoes dish with a meditteranean tomato Peri Peri sauce that was amazing and the second night we made a nice chicken rice broth with onions, celery, carrots and herbs. Oh my gaahhhhh. All our meals we ate in mugs, bowls, plates, and bread loaf baking trays of course. It wouldn’t be a true Peace Corps experience if we hadn’t. We sat around in a circle eating our yummy broth listening to the rain. We made simple things for lunch like grilled cheese sandwiches and we cut up some apples to eat with peanut butter and honey. On Saturday night, Liz played the Guitalele and we all joined in and sang along to songs like “Ho, Hey” from the Lumineers, “Make You Feel My Love” from Adele (Bob Dylan, really), and “Wagon Wheel” from an old country band whose name I forgot. We even sat in a circle and ate homemade cookie dough and spiced applesauce while we did it. It was really nice. We had to go to the restroom at night which meant scary bugs and terrifying winds in the dark. Good thing we stood outside of the latrine and sang to each other and made sure we were safe while we did our duty. We also attempted to tell scary stories in the dark but chickened out right when we started. We had so much fun this weekend and it made us all really tired but we were glad to FINALLY get home on Sunday to bathe, change clothes, and lay in our comfy beds – things that some of us were not able to do for the entire weekend. Sounds like a successful Peace Corps slumber party to me.

Some of the funniest staff members

School children singing and celebrating their win on Fun Day

Picture from our Thanksgiving!

Woke up to these guys in my backyard. Thanks for dropping by and thanks a lot for the droppings, guys.

Holding your computer out the window means getting reception to go online

Sarah's creeper face

It was so hot Eden made me a toga/dress. Pretty fancy, ain't it?

Singing along to the Guitalele



No comments:

Post a Comment