Monday, December 10, 2012

Home


As you all know by now, evenings in for me are always accompanied with candlelight and new ideas of entertainment. Honestly, living without electricity is not all that hard. It just requires more patience and more sleep time. I’m always down for more sleep but need to work on the former. Recent nights consisted of playing solitaire, shaving my head, drinking hot cocoa/tea, eating apples with peanut butter or Nutella, etc. As of late, evenings have forced me to think a lot...about everything and anything. Some nights I found myself feeling lonely and homesick. Other nights I am thankful and grateful for where I am and what I’m doing in my life. Everyone tells me how difficult it could get during the holidays when nostalgia kicks in and I start wishing the sweat on our bodies from the strong heat was rain or snow from the holiday season back home. Today I am wishing that.

I spy the smoothest peanut butter I've ever tasted, my iPhone, Trenton and me... (Does anyone
ever play solitaire with an actual deck of cards these days?)


But I talked to Trenton and he was able to make me laugh and feel better about things. I worked with the staff members at my school and taught them how to use Microsoft excel and how to be more efficient with data entry and that made me feel accomplished. I talked to my kgosi (chief) of my village this morning and he told me how fascinated he was at how I am integrating into the community and how I am speaking Setswana to people I pass by and meet. This made me feel extremely proud of myself. I am doing things day by day and slowly learning that I am here and I am doing what I am supposed to be doing.

So although I miss all of my family and friends back home, terribly, I am happy right where I am. The days I start getting lonely and sad pass and are filled with days of achievements and making new family and friends here. And I realize that I will always have people who reciprocate their love for me and that home is wherever I choose, any place that I can learn and be happy. And I will continue to be strong and remember that I am doing something I’ve been wanting to do, something great.

I hope all of you are filling your stomachs with great food and continue to be in the company of people you love. I wish I can be with all of you back home but know that I am doing well and I have established a kind of Peace Corps family over here, too, and they are great people. I hope everyone stays happy and healthy this holiday season and know that I am missing you so much it hurts sometimes. But, like always, I will be fine. J Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment