Friday, April 12, 2013

MYAA - Month of Youth Against AIDS

It's been so long, I know!! I really don't ever get to use the internet when I'm at site so blog posts may become more and more scarce. (Sorry!)

The end of Term 1 at Iphutheng Junior Secondary School was a success. I've been busy trying to get projects started and helping with small things at school. March is the MYAA - Month of Youth Against AIDS. We focus on topics like alcohol use and it's effects, road safety teenage pregnancy, and, of course, HIV/AIDS prevention. I was honored to speak to the entire school at the end of term assembly on alcohol use and it's contributing factors to road accidents and poor performance in school. I was really nervous at first but realized that this will be something I'll have to get used to. I mean, I'm in the Peace Corps. I will go out of my comfort zone more than I'd like to. So I convinced myself that I wasn't nervous, I did my presentation with confidence, and was able to make it very interactive. I was pretty proud of myself actually. That day we also had a small march on road safety. We marched along the dirt paths within our school and uncovered signs. It was pretty awesome. Later that week I managed to judge a fashion show for Form 1. They looked so cute in their traditional outfits. It was very last minute that they asked me to do this so it was a bit stressful.But of course, they think I'm an expert at all things so it was my duty to judge the fashion show since I had professional input. haha I pulled a lot of things out of thin air and they were so happy I was able to give them my expertise on all things fashion, including what they should be judged on. (Thank you America's Next Top Model!) Also, this same same week I was preparing some of the kids in my "house" (the schools are divided into different "houses") for a debate on HIV/AIDS. I was so excited to help them with proposed motions and rebuttals. I was determined or them to win!! I watched them cleverly use the rebuttals we practiced because I made sure they thought about the attack and I told them to think about what the other side would say. Boom. We won!!! I was so happy! The three students who represented our house jumped up in excitement and it made me so proud! I'd say my end of term was a success!











No comments:

Post a Comment