Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Support!

Hey everyone!

I have a couple things I'd like to tell you about. Both include supporting a couple of my friends here in Botswana but are two different causes.

The first one is about my friend Janina, a current BOTS 12 volunteer who has written a grant in order to get funds for a project that will enable her to help her kids in her community of Gobajango. Please click here! Her grant is on the actual Peace Corps website and this is very exciting! Please just read about it and if you'd like, you can also donate right there on the site! I just want to get word out for her because for volunteers, getting a grant approved is so exciting and I could imagine how wonderful a feeling it is. I hope to look into different grants I could possibly obtain by putting my  proposal writing skills to use. I knew that class in college would help me out one day. (Thanks Jim Ruby!) Let's just hope the next proposal I write won't be a tedious 27 pages. 

The second thing I'd like to share is the artwork of my friend/neighbor, Caroline. She is such an amazing woman. She is my age and has an adorable family that includes her daughter and partner. She went to school for art and her artwork is simply amazing. I promised her that I would show a few of her pieces to my friends and family so I am posting them here!








She mainly does this as a hobby, as she is a teacher at the Primary School that is right across from my house. She is talented and she is also teaching her man how to paint. The one with the giraffes they did together! (I know. Cute, right?) The medium she uses the most is watercolor or oils on acrylic. They are really beautiful in person and if anyone likes any of them she is willing to negotiate a price and ship them to the states. She says she will give all my friends special pricing since you all are my friends I am just so awesome. Okay, I might have added that second part. haha I requested for her to do one of elephants since I love them and she is willing to do that so if anyone would like to request something specific, I could ask her. She also makes wooden jewelry from the trees around the village. I think she should put them on etsy but not having internet is a problem in Hebron. Boo. Maybe I'll post pictures of that. She does this as a hobby because she loves to do it and she told me that even if she doesn't sell anything it'd be amazing for her art to be "shown" in America. She is really sweet and if any of you like these and it is possible and realistic to buy one, I would love and appreciate your support for her. I'd love to help her and her cute little family.

So there you go. Check it out. Don't. Whatever. (But it'd be nice if you did!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment