Friday, January 11, 2013

Ode to the Youth




I am continually amazed at how much responsibility and strength the children and teenagers have here. They are creative, strong, and have a lot more responsibilities than I have ever seen in the states, respectfully. Being in the Guidance & Counselling department here in Iphutheng Community Junior Secondary School has really opened up my eyes to the hardships that the youth has to go through at such a young age. The kids start walking to school around age 5 or 6, holding hands with their siblings that they take to school before walking 10 kilometers to school and 10 kilometers back home from neighboring villages. They get to school and come to the office and are starving from not having food at home or completely exhausted and having a difficult time staying awake and learning in their classes. They take care of family members: parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, and siblings. They do the washing, cleaning, and cooking, all in the little time they have after coming home from school. I’ve seen kids playing with toys they have made from wires and soda cans, happily stringing these makeshift “cars” around. I think it’s actually pretty creative and awesome. They are forced to grow up and be mature, sometimes missing out on childhood and innocence that is their right. They take care of everyone but find it difficult to take care of themselves or even begin to learn how to do it. It breaks my heart to have students come in crying, asking for help and not knowing what to do or where to start.



I share this with everyone as a way to educate people on the value of responsibility and gratefulness. To be grateful, everyday, for what you have and not to focus on minor things that can engulf you. The youth here have the strength to carry on even with heavy shoulders weighing them down. I feel grateful for being able to experience these things and stay humble. To be able to listen to them and help them in any possible way that I can. Sometimes we invalidate and fail to recognize our youth and the things they grow up with and the hardships they, too, can face. We don’t really listen to them or hear what they have to say. I want to let them know that they can be confident, they can be leaders, and they can do great things, even with all the struggles that come with life. I hope that people can also teach this to their kids at a young age and instill the confidence and intelligence that is waiting to come out in these children. I guess I am just grateful for the experience and the opportunity to be a role model and a mentor for the youth here and will continue to stress the importance to my kids someday. It starts with them.

So to the youth: be strong and hang in there when times are tough. Believe in yourself. I know I do.





No comments:

Post a Comment