Thursday, November 15, 2012

It's official!


“I, Diane Phoolserm, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, domestic or foreign, that I take this obligation freely, and without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge my duties in the Peace Corps.”

We are required by law to swear or affirm an oath of loyalty to the United States. With that said,
I am an official United States Peace Corps Volunteer!



Today was the day I have been waiting for. It’s been a long 2 ½ months of intensive training but it also feels like our time together as trainees flew by so quickly. I will not miss Pre-Service Training at all but will miss all the familiar faces that I saw 6 days a week for the past couple of months. I’ve made friends and it will be difficult saying goodbye to them (for now) tomorrow when we all leave to our sites in different parts of the country. Thank goodness most of us spent the day together because although we will be seeing each other soon for Mid-Service Training and other travels, it will not be the same. I would just like to wish all my fellow volunteers good luck at their site and hopefully community integration and assessment will go well. (Not excited about that report!) I know we are capable of doing great things at our site and am glad to be with such a diverse group of volunteers (lawyers, doctors, social workers, nurses, teachers, etc.). We are an amazing group. Congratulations BOTS 13!

As for other news…I leave for my new home in Hebron tomorrow around 10:00 a.m. The feelings and emotions I am going through cannot really be described. I found out that my home that I will be living in is not yet ready (the ceiling needs repair) and so I will stay in a temporary house for about a week or so. This temporary place does not have electricity or running water or an indoor toilet but I am not stressing. When I move in to my actual home it still won’t have electricity but it will have running water (when there is actually water available), a toilet, bathtub and sink, decent kitchen counter space (also a pantry!), and hopefully a fixed roof. I didn’t have any expectations coming here so I actually think that I am lucky. From what I’ve heard, volunteers from other African countries live in a single unit hut. I am trying to stay positive and hope for the best and that’s exactly what I’m doing. My Head Master at the Junior Secondary school is amazing and I am also very grateful for that. She told me that she was able to put a fridge in my office so at least I’ll have something in place of no electricity. She is also fighting to get me a computer, fighting to have my roof done ASAP, and told everyone at the school and in the community that I am coming and apparently everyone is excited to meet me (eek!). I’m sorry I do not have many pictures to load but my internet is VERY slow now. I am trying to unlock my phone and hopefully then I can message and chat with people through various apps like WhatsApp, Tango, and other free messaging services that require me to be online. I will update everyone every so often but I am sorry if I cannot include pictures. To my family and friends, I miss and love you all so much and please do not worry about me. I am excited to start this new phase of my life and hope you will support me along the way. See you soon! Gagona matata!

No comments:

Post a Comment