Friday, October 26, 2012

Celebrations

First and foremost: I have updated my address here and on facebook so send away!! And, like always, thank you for thinking of me and taking your time to show me love. I love you guys. :)

Monday and Tuesday were spent in the capital city of Gabarone for a Supervisor's Workshop. The weather has been nice and cold lately with LOTS of thunderstorms and lightning accompanying the rain. It really makes me feel like I'm back at home in Cali at this time of year which is weird because summer just started here and it should be extremely hot right now all the way until March-April. I'm obviously not complaining. Meeting my Headmaster was a success. So far, I really like her and she seems to know what she is doing. That says a lot. We discussed what roles I'd have when I get to site and what is needed in the community. I already know that I'll be part of different clubs and be in charge of some programs. She says she will fight for me to get a computer in the Guidance and Counseling Office, where my office will be. Oh, and I also learned that I have no electricity in my house! Waahhhh. haha Gagona matata (No problem/worries -think Lion King). I have yet to meet my counterpart but apparently she is a very nice woman. I am extremely excited and will tell you more when that time comes.

Mma Mokgweetse, the Headmaster at Iputheng Junior Secondary School. (Don't mind my bangs. I just ran in from the rain.)

So crazy how much sun is out and the clouds are gray even though the rain is coming down hard. This  weather reminds me of Hawaii. Five minutes of random on-and-off rain and sunshine.
Last Saturday we celebrated two birthdays from Bots 10 and 11, the two groups who came before us. I was looking forward to this because I haven't met that many other volunteers from the other groups since we've been here and it was fun. What was REALLY exciting was the hamburgers and cake that was made!!! It may not be a big deal to all you readers out there but we go CRAZY when we eat American food. Or at least something that tastes similar enough to food from home. haha We all went to a volunteer's house here in Kanye where we are training. He has a ridiculously nice house that none of my group will probably have and it was a good night. Also, I learned that I am called a "colored" girl. If you're not black, white, or Chinese (ALL Asians), you're considered colored. What's funny is that most people think I am a mixed Asian and Motswana (person from Botswana). Weird. I haven't even gotten my dark summer tan yet! haha Anyway, below you can see some of my friends here.

Emma, Niakou, and Ash

These next photos are of our unnecessary serious photo shoot.

Couldn't hold back after looking at Niakou's face.


Luis and Octavius.

Happy Birthday, Liles!

My boy, Luis

Kristan, Racquel, Luis, and Lisetta

These are more random pictures of my week spent at home with my wonderful cousin,Tau. I will still call him my brother.

Tau was amazed at  my ridiculously simple breakfast I made - buttered toast, eggs with chicken franks, and apple slices. He looked at it like, "Wtf is that?" haha I try to get and make food closest to what I ate at home. I crave so many things already! :( 

swag

deuces
Even though the days are long during training I am still alive and having fun. Please don't worry about me, family and friends. I hope you all are doing well and being with people you love minus myself. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment