Saturday, September 22, 2012

Kanye, Botswana

Hey everyone!

There's so much to saaayyyyy!!!!!! I probably won't even get to everything I want to but I will try. First and foremost, I am healthy and happy and am living in Kanye for the next two months!

After landing in South Africa, I was terribly nauseous. We had some pretty crazy turbulence that really upset my stomach so I was sad that I wasn't feeling well to do more exploration around the airport. It was a small airport anyway. :P We had to walk downstairs to our terminal but our terminal consisted of a large waiting room with buses waiting outside the doors. We all had to stand with our carry-on's as the bus took us right up to the small express plane that was waiting for us. I felt like such a movie star, kinda like Whitney Houston in the Bodyguard, not going to lie.
Johannesburg Airport, South Africa
Terminals out to the buses


 
Me, feeling all Bodyguard status

Gabarone Airport, Botswana

My lovely Southern friend, Sarah. Love her accent!

Next few pictures are from the lovely Big 5 Lodge in Gabarone , the first day we landed.






Fail on making that face, on my part. Go Lisa.



My family are the nicest people, ever. There is about 7-8 of us in this small house and I have my own room and my own bucket! (I have to take bucket baths. Yay.) The culture here is very familial and traditional so when I met my host family at our matching ceremony they immediately took me in and gave me a Setswana name. My name I've adopted is Rothle Mogakolodi, which I am almost sure none of you will pronounce correctly when you try because I can't even pronounce it.  I was praying I'd get a name I could pronounce and of course they throw in a name that has a rolling R and a click. -__- I won't get much further into that. I have two nieces and pretty much two nephews that live down the street but constantly yell, "Auntie, Auntie!" I love them but they play in the dirt and always get me dirty. =] They constantly tell me I am beautiful and I'm just too spoiled with them. I also think they say that because I'm different and they've never seen anyone like me. haha The mom to my nieces  is a beautiful woman who is 5 years older than I am and her name is Dondo. She teaches me Setswana everyday and I enjoy learning from her. My host mom, who is the head of household, is a respected teacher and when I tell people my name they're like, "Ohhh. Ahhh." I'm guessing those are positive sounds...? Oh, and I can't forget my brother who is 21 years old and insists that I listen to Lil Wayne and Rick Ross. He and I had a pretty lengthy debate over how talented Nicki Minaj is but unfortunately he still loves her. haha My brother, Tau, does most of the cooking and cleaning, which I find is amazing. He is such a nice guy and wishes to see California one of these days so hopefully he will! I'm sad I don't yet have a picture of him but I will soon! I also added him on facebook. haha He is on it 24/7. Much like many people I know. Not naming names. 

Yes, I wash my clothes, bathe, and brush my teeth in buckets. No running water in my home.


I took Thati and Fefe to school on their first day back!

My sister Dondo. I did her makeup and put on fake eyelashes for a wedding she was in. ME. OF ALL PEOPLE! :)

Yaone with a weave on. haha No, it wasn't mine.

Yaone not looking too happy, Thepo, baby Junior, and silly Fefe.

I took this for my sister. (Hey hooch!) This is our house cat that bugs me. Sorry, not a cat person. 
I went to a wedding my second day in Kanye! Let me tell you, Batswana (people from Botswana) LOVE their weddings! It is also wedding season so I probably should expect to be at a lot of them. I met my host family and immediately they said, "We're going to a wedding tomorrow and the next day." Uh, cool. haha It was a very fun and interesting experience but I don't think I would like going to a lot of them because Batswana have these very long weddings that last all day with great food but I feel just like an outsider there. Don't get me wrong, I love how friendly everyone here is. Everyone, everywhere I go, looks at me and says, "Lekgoa! Lekgoa!" Which literally means vomited from the see. It pretty much means white person or foreign person. Which is funny because I'm not white. But I am foreign so I guess it fits. Everybody wants to take pictures of me or with me or ask me things in the little English that they know. And when I try to talk to them in Setswana they laugh at me. But one thing I learned from the Peace Corps is that you will soon get real comfortable and okay with making a fool of yourself on a daily basis. The people here are so nice and friendly, I can't stress that enough. Training is 6 days a week and we learn all sorts of topics like Safety and Security, Women Empowerment, Water and Food Preparation, etc. As you can imagine there is A LOT we need to know to be able to live on our own at our permanent sites in about two months. It is crazy and the days are long but it is well worth it! My favorite is the Setswana language sessions we have because I love language. I look forward to those days.

Moshupa

Traditional Botswana dance. Coolest thing ever.


My lonely walk to the education center 6 days a week.

Combi ridin'. A combi is a van that fills up and takes you where you need to go with no set schedule. One of the cheaper ways to get around.

I love my fat cakes!!!!!!!!! It's really a big ball of dough that's fried. They're dangerous!!!

They love their fatcakes, too!!

Yaone and Thepo




She insisted on "helping Auntie with her backpack."

Just ate some fried chicken today!!!!!!!!!! YUM!!!!!!!!!

So I don't really know what I've missed so far but my time at this internet cafe is running up! I get to come here only once a week, if I'm lucky, so I am trying to remember things to update everyone on. Ahhh, running out of time at the internet cafe. I'll have to post more pictures of me dancing and making a fool of myself at a wedding and other things I've seen here. Also, I have the best health care I have ever had in my life so I feel a bit better about that. Yay for government employees. See you all later and take care!

Go Siame!

Diane Rotlhe Phoolserm


15 comments:

  1. So coooooooool!!! What's your name again? Ummm..I'll stick to Diane till you can tell me how to pronounce it! The fam-bam looks totally down to earth. Looking forward to seeing more of you!! I miss you and I'm never going to stop saying how very proud I am of you! Take care and be safe! -V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roll the R, and the tlh sound is almost like a click but not really. It's like an in between click so it will sound so wrong if you don't do it correctly. haha and the e is pronounced like a long a. Got it? haaa! My family is so nice but they want to do EVERYTHING with me and you know me, I need my privacy from time to time. I miss you so much and I think about you all the time when I eat and I want to look up and be able to laugh about things I see. :( Thank you for the constant praise, it really helps some days. I love you so much and please pass that on to Jon. Write me!

      Delete
  2. hey there Rothle Mogakolodi!!!ITS ME aNGELI I miss u!! how r y a!! soo excited to read your journal omg u have a new family and new friends that is awesome!!! Sorry to hear u got nauseaus, but Im sooo jealous u are there getting to experience new things and immerse in new culture!! well keep on bloggin cuz I like to read new stuff about your experience!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some days I wish I can be at Open Sesame with you and drinking boba!!!! Thanks for reading along. I try to update as much as I can! I am so tired from all the sessions we have but I'm hanging in there. I miss you and will talk to you soon hopefully!

      Delete
  3. Im so happy and excited for you! Once you know your staying lets start planning my visit. Be safe and know we are so proud of you!

    Love,

    Kat and family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!!! I would love for you to come!!!! I would love to take you on a safari or something because I don't want you to get bored but let's see. I don't know my way around yet. haha I miss you and thank you for the praise, it means a lot. Love you and miss you and the family!

      Delete
  4. The photo of your niece helping you with your backpack CRACKED ME UP!!! Those kids are so cute. I'm glad that your host family is cool as hell. I wanna try one of those Fat Cakes. Stay safe and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! hahah She is a diva though, that little girl. The kids are really cute and they play ALL day. It makes me feel like a big kid here. There's so much that reminds me of you and every time I wish I can just look up and tell you or text you. :( I miss you and thanks for making me cry at the airport. You started it all! haha <3

      Delete
  5. oh my goodness, you are surrounded by some of the most adorable children i've ever seen! it seems like you're really loving your time there - i'm so happy for you! please tell me how you manage to still look so cute all the time even though you're bathing out of a bucket? haha can't wait for the next update! take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids are the highlight of all my days. I leave at 7:45 a.m. and come back around 5:00 p.m. and I get to play with them all night. All the kids love foreigners so they like to follow you; that gets to be weird at times. haha But I really am loving it and thank you for the compliment! If you only knew how greasy my hair is and how dirty my feet are! haha TMI?? Take care!

      Delete
  6. Hi Bubb!

    We all miss you, mommy and Jackie say, "hi!"
    Bring me home that cat and a fatcake hooch! where do you go to the restroom, is it like thailand? watch your feet... haha. Jackie says she wants one of those kids. Tell your host brother to listen to Kendrick Lamar.

    We had boba from the tea station last night before heading to Vegas. Miss you hooch. Dont forget to put on your sunscreen, you dont want to get all dark... hahaha.(imagine mommy saying that, ha!)

    Love, Michelle your cool sister.

    From Jackie:

    Awww this is great! I'm so happy your doing well and enjoying your time. I know it's a bit of a culture shock but it looks like your adapting well. You have a lot of great pixs up, my fav is the little girl with your backpack. Please bring that kitty home!

    Love, Jaxs your sisters cool girlfriend haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Did mommy see my pictures? Did she say how dirty everything looks? haha The restroom is a pit latrine. (google it.) It's like India where there is a seat on top of a hole that goes about 10 feet under ground but it doesn't smell. Who is Kendrick Lamar? He probably can't go online, he only uses facebook on his phone. Bring me bobaaaaaaaaaaaa from tea station!! The cat bugs! I'll bring her home if she is still at the house in 2 years. Love you!

      Jackie, thanks! It's not that big of a culture shock, it reminds me of Thailand. I'll try to kidnap my niece for you in two years but let me tell you, she's a little diva when she doesn't get her way. Watch out. haha

      Delete
  7. Hi Diane! This blog is so amazing! We all loved reading about this experience through your eyes. The kids are all adorable and I am so glad that the people are so welcoming. It looks like you are adapting so well as I knew you would. Have alot of fun and be safe. We love you lots!!!! Keep blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yo Rotlhe!
    This is so amazing! Your family looks wonderful and the kids are so adorable. I can't wait to hear how your name is pronounced. Glad you're doing well, can't wait to read more.

    Love, Shaunte

    ReplyDelete
  9. What up, Rrro*click*tle*click*!! Yes, that is how I will imagine it is pronounced for the time being. Haha Aww! Your family looks so down to earth! I can definitely see the resemblance, too! Lol kidding. I'm so happy you finally posted pictures!! And what?! Why is it that your brother gets to go on FB 24/7 and you don't? You need to fix that! Also, you need to learn the Botswana dance and show us when you get back lol The place looks awesome, by the way! Looks better than a Best Western! Score for you! I see you wore the red shirt! Nice =D I love the whole bucket thing- not the most sanitary, but it makes me think of you in an over-sized straw hat and petal pushers, picking rice. Yes, I called you an Asian rice-picker lol I just showed my mom your blog and pictures! She got all emotional; she misses you and wishes you well. She said if you need anything to please let her (me) know lol My mom wants to send you food...but I doubt we can send you dumplings, wontons, noodles, pig ear and chicken wings. =/ Come November 14, 2014 though, we will have a feast for you including all the above!! Lol Man, I'm so sad you don't get much time on the internet! You know me, I would die if I was in your position, which is why you are so much braver and stronger than I am haha It's so good to hear from you. You don't understand how ecstatic I am when you post an update. Can't wait for your next blog. Love you! Miss you. Take care. <3


    P.S. Bring me back a fried ball of dough! Lol That sounds bomb- I wanna dip it into milk chocolate haha

    ReplyDelete