Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I'm really blogging. Weird.

A lot of people have been asking me about Peace Corps and what I'll be doing and how I'll communicate and if I'll have internet access and yada, yada, yada...   

For those of you who don't know, I've been invited to go to Botswana, Southern Africa as part of a Peace Corps assignment. I'll be working with the communities there and interacting with youth, teachers, community leaders, parents, etc. My official title is School & Community Liaison for Life Skills. My main focus is to address HIV/AIDS at the community level educating and using constructive partnerships to bring about change.  I will also focus on youth development, specifically, and try to implement behavior change programs for the prevention of new infections.

Since I'll be gone for 27 months, if I am successful at learning the language and culture in the first 2 1/2, I've decided to share my experience here, as much as I can. A lot of my friends (hey guys!) and family have asked me to keep in touch and communicate as much as possible and although I don't know how often I'll have access to the internet just yet, I intend to update all of you on my experiences and daily life. For my friends who know me, this is really weird because I think blogging can get really personal and I don't like to put myself out there that much. I don't like sharing so much of myself for all the world to see but I figure I can share it with my friends and limit what I put out there so that my friends and family will know I'm okay and doing fine. I'll mainly be using this blog to capture my Peace Corps experience and travels for now but who knows, maybe I'll keep using it thereafter.

So here goes to actually keeping up on posting pictures and experiences, rants and raves, and just learning as I go. Hope to at least keep some of you entertained. I can't believe I'm blogging...

No comments:

Post a Comment